Sunday, September 7, 2008

16 hours later.....

Here in my little mountain town we have this really cool thing...time release mosquitoes. This is the second time Boyfriend and I have encountered them. Here's how it works. You go out hiking near water, you see a few mosquitoes landing on you but you slap them away, you think you got them before they bit you and you go home happy as a clam. Then sometime the next day one mosquito bite pops up, then another and another and another. It's like the onset of the pox! Right now, I've got about 14 bumps and counting. I'm not a fan of this new technology.
On said hike near water, I also attempted drowning due to hypothermia. Good times. See, we took the dog so she could do some swimming at our favorite little watering hole. Boyfriend was tossing a stick in the water but the dog came out with not a stick but a branch. We quickly dubbed it Diablo's Pitchfork and dog found it to be the absolute best stick ever on the planet. Boyfriend was tossing BEST STICK EVER into the pond much to the dog's delight when suddenly, he got a little too enthusiastic and tossed it into deeper water. The poor dog couldn't swim and get a good grip on the branch to bring it back even though she tried several times. The branch moved into unreachable waters and you've never seen such a sad hound dog in your life. She sat on the shore and whined and pouted and gave me the most pathetic sad dog eyes. Guess who just happened to be wearing her bathing suit? Guess who is a total sucker for a sad dog? Guess who went into the water? Yep, me. I'm an idiot. I waded in to the thighs thinking it wasn't so bad but when I made the big plunge, all ability to breathe was sucked from my body. I made some noises that even I did not recognize as human. I couldn't get my limbs to work. I thought "Oh my god, I'm gonna drown in six feet of water getting a stupid stick for a stupid dog." Luckily, I persevered and got the stick and got back to shore before I sank. HAPPIEST DOG EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD. Outcome: I'm the dog's hero. For just a little while, she liked me better than Boyfriend.
So, today I'm bumpy and loved. Guess it all balances out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And with that, your dog taught you how to play fetch. He's got the edge now.

For what it's worth, I would've done the same thing.

Welby said...

Ditto to Robert. I love seeing my beagle happy.