Monday, September 17, 2007

Vegas and Ghostly Warnings

Time for a multi-subject blog. I know, I know, I know. I don't blog and I don't blog and then suddenly I throw a bunch of crap at you. Sorry.

Anyway, first subject. Vegas, baby! I just spent a quick spontaneous 24 hours in Las Vegas with my siblings and a cousin and her husband. It was not nearly long enough. My god, I love Vegas. I mean, love like if I could have sexual congress with it, I would. (Come to think of it, I think you can have sexual congress with Vegas for a price.) Anyway, I was sitting around trying to figure out why oh why do I love Vegas (besides the free drinks). I think I've got it. Nothing is real there. Nothing. It's all make believe. It's soooooo good when you've had a healthy dose of reality and you're ready for something else. Nothing but good and crazy things have happened to me in Vegas. Actually, I once had severe, I mean severe, strep throat in Vegas with a fever of about 103. I was 14. My best friend and I were walking around Circus Circus while my parents were off gambling and I remember all the sounds and sights being distorted and blurry. It was so Alice in Wonderland. I still find, in perfect health, that everything is distorted and blurry. So good.

Okay, next subject. Ghostly warnings. As mentioned before, I saw my cousin in Vegas. Her name is Cathy and she's very spiritual, not in a God way, but in a "I will explore every religion and take bits and pieces of each to fit my needs" sort of way. She's a shaman. I don't know what it takes to be a shaman but she did it. Some sort of training with a vision quest, I don't know. Now I wouldn't say she really believes in ghosts, per se, but she definitely talks a lot about feeling the energy of those who have passed around her at certain times. My sister is the same. She will often stop in the middle of what she is doing and say "Grampa is here." The closest I've ever come to this phenomenon is smell. I will sometimes walk into a room or be sitting there and I will smell one of my grandmothers. And there is never a reason the smell should be there. For example, part of Grandma's smell is coffee. It's not the whole smell but it's part of the mix. So I'll be standing in the living room and the smell will show up and stay a few minutes then go and there is no coffee anywhere. I like to think it's my loved ones stopping by to check up on me.

So, I was at a buffet in Vegas listening to Cathy talk about how she felt the energy of her father when she was at a convenience store counter and looking at a scratch ticket. So she bought it. She put it in her purse and went to dinner with her husband but in the middle of dinner, she felt her father again so she got out the ticket and scratched it and won $200. My sister went on to tell stories of feeling our father around her. I was jealous for I haven't felt a thing.

Here comes the warning part. I dreamt last night I was walking through the library and my father was sitting there in a wheelchair. In the dream, I knew he was dead and shouldn't be sitting there but I was so so so happy because I could see him in such great detail. I could picture him perfectly and in real life, I'm having a harder and harder time bringing his face to mind. So I was standing there being thrilled I could see him and I walked forward, knelt beside the chair and put my hand on his leg (the same spot I was touching when he died). He looked up at me and laughed, the sort of snort that comes before you say something ironic, and said these exact words "Everyone I see here, I know. Don't you be one of them."

ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUE WHAT THAT MIGHT MEAN?

I mean, even if it's not my father's spirit coming to tell me something, it's definitely my own subconscious telling me something. It'd be nice to know what. Theories are most welcome.

1 comment:

bradi said...

I've been pondering this since you posted and here's what I've come up with. . .nothing. Oh, except Vegas can be evil so there's that and maybe bad shrimp cocktail? I'll keep working on it! Did you look it up in a dream encyclopedia?