Friday, November 9, 2007

It's so true.

I know I haven't blogged in a while. Ever go through a period where everything you have to blog about is negative and whiny? I was waiting for something good.

My father used to say that the most important communication in any relationship always occurred in the kitchen. It's so true. Parties always end up with people packed in my kitchen which is the smallest room in my house.

Some nights, for no particular reason, Boyfriend and I will spend an entire evening in the kitchen. Last night, I got home from work and he was already in the kitchen making beef stroganoff. I made guacamole. Two great tastes that taste great together. So, we went into the dining room and ate dinner but after cleaning up, (and this has happened several other times) we end up staying in the kitchen with a bottle of wine and "70's Soft Pop" playing on the radio. We come up with a topic for conversation and laugh and laugh and laugh. Absurd statements are made such as "Wilcox? The question is when is he 'Won'tcox'?" and "Whereas I'm the mayor, I hereby declare this My Wife Dresses Up Like a Catholic School Girl and Blows Me Day" and my favorite quote of the evening, "The horns are still phat in Carpenterland. Andy GibbLand, not so much."
Occasionally, we run out of conversation which is good because it leaves time for stupid dancing. I've searched and cannot find but think of Joan Cusack dancing in the neck brace in Sixteen Candles. It's much like that. And it's usually to some fine piece of musical history like Another Saturday Night by Cat Stevens.
My point is I live for these evenings. Sometimes I get soooooooo focused on the crap I don't realize how much I need to let it go just for a night. There is never any warning that these evenings are coming, so it's such a gift when they appear.
Sometimes I think all I'll ever need is bad 70's tunes, a good bottle of wine and my favorite boy in the smallest room in my house.

2 comments:

bradi said...

That's so sweet. . . .isn't it weird how Boyfriend and Reggie know the most obscure old songs? They drive me insane with that knowledge. I think it's because they are older and if they don't remember them, no one will because those people are dying off.

bradi said...

I've tagged you and delivered a reason to blog. I want to know some weird and random things about YOU!