Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Highlights from time not well spent....

No posts since April from me? Really? Where have I been? Where did May go? Egads.
I have, in my defense, thought about posting several times. Here are just a few topics that I've written blogs for in my own head.
-Legally changing back to my maiden name.
-How the gravelly part of Michael Stipe's voice takes me back in time
-Blue and gold caterpillars
-The reaction of females when you tell them you dreamt that Johnny Depp was gay
-Down's Syndrome adult males with fetishes for girls with "teenage hair" and how that is has creepiness factor of 11
Intriguing, no? Alas, I did not type out any of these blogs but trust me, you would have been moved. You would have laughed and cried and had a whole new reason to wake up every day. Or they would have been boring as hell. The world will never know.
Here's what I have been doing instead of blogging.
-I (or more accurately, my hairdresser) cut off seven inches of hair. People reacted as if I should have reacted more. I have very little feeling about it one way or the other. It's just hair. If I lost seven inches of small intestine, I would have reacted.
-I've been doing work, work, work. The Summer Reading Program starts next week. Man your battle stations.
-I've been doing homework, homework, homework. The fact that I'll graduate in less than a year is the only thing keeping me from an aneurysm.
-I've been doing yardwork, yardwork, yardwork. I'm telling ya, people, my yard is fabu. Flowers galore, new fountain, new teak bench, new outdoor rug (I am unnaturally in love with outdoor rugs.)
Other than that, not much happening. Washed the dog today. There was bleeding involved (on my part, not the dog's).
Keep your eye's peeled for upcoming pics of my completed fabu yard.
Must sleep now. Exhausted.

4 comments:

Welby said...

So ... you mentioned how creepy it is for men to have fetishes for girls with teenage hair. I don't really know what teenage hair means, but something that I've found creep-er-ific is the fact that a number of sitcoms thought it was cool to show women dressing up like Catholic schoolgirls in order to excite grown men.

Why the hell is this acceptable? Grown men shouldn't be fantasizing about teens and pre-teens. Society shouldn't encourage this. I don't know when this became okay.

Pollywog said...

Welby,
I don't know what teenage hair means either but I know there is a patron at my library that will only let me and one other young lady help him because we have "teenage hair". His words, not mine.
As for men fantasizing about teens, believe it or not, I'm going to have to defend that. I think it's biological. Why are we attracted to pretty people? I'll tell you why. Deep down, on a subconcious level, we believe pretty people are healthy people and we want to procreate until we've bred a race of superhumans. With that in mind, it makes sense that the human male would be attracted to a teenage girl. It is rare that a woman is ever healthier or stronger than she was as a teenager later in life. It goes back to us being apes. A silverback gorilla will have an urge to mate with the strongest female of the group. He doesn't give a damn how old she is.
That being said, I want to make it clear that I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it makes sense (to me at least).
What is a real and utter headscratcher is why is it okay to jokingly say the quote "Squeal like a pig" in reference to Ned Beatty being raped in Deliverance? That is definitely one of my top 5 most disturbing scenes on film and yet everyone has a good laugh at it. Hmmmmmmm.

Welby said...

I agree about the scene in deliverance being profoundly disturbing. But I'm uneasy with excusing fantasies as merely biological. People can be biologically predisposed to alcoholism, cancer or kleptomania, but rarely do we say that these things are fine and should just take their course.

Attraction may be involuntary, but dwelling on the attraction to the point of fantasy ... not good. Not something to be encouraged by popular media.

But it's not like I'm willing to wrestle you to the ground until you admit I'm right. Especially since my arm has been kinda bothering me a bit.

Pollywog said...

Oh, no, Mr. Welby, Sir, I am in full concurrence that the media should not feed into this fantasty. That being said we have to remember we are talking about the media. Not particularly known for riding the moral high horse.
The media is just feeding into something that is already there.

Keep in mind I agree with you. I'm just playing devil's advocate. I am not in league with the media.

And finally, I'm up for a little wrestling. You get the mud ready and I'll put on my Catholic Schoolgirl outfit. :-)