Friday, June 22, 2007

I'm too old to giggle and run at the same time.

Wednesday, evening there was a knock at the door of Chez Me and Boyfriend and there stood our good friend, Matt. I've mentioned Matt before as singer/author/nicest guy ever. No really. Our little town voted him nicest guy in our yearly poll of "Best of" for our local entertainment magazine. It's in print.
Anyway, he shows up to tell us that on Thursday, he would be celebrating his 42 birthday and he would like us to join him in celebrating by playing tag. Yep, you heard me. Tag. Being as this was just the kind of crazy thing Matt would do, we signed on.
On the longest day of the year, several fully grown adults and a few kids gathered in the park to play tag. But not just any tag. Let me see if I can explain it. You stand there with your hands on your hips looking like a teapot with two handles. (More of a sugarbowl, I guess.) Someone links their arm through one of yours. The twist is only two people can be linked at anytime so if a person being chased runs up and links onto your partners other arm, you are knocked off and have to go find another free arm to link with. If you find another arm without being tagged, then the person on your link's other arm is knocked off. If your tagged while running for an arm, you are it and the person who tagged you must run for an open arm.
IT WAS SO MUCH FUN. I don't remember the last time I just stood there and giggled. And it was very social because you linked up with people you didn't know and got to talking while watching the game. I spent many times linked up with a fella that I only knew by his first name, but later found out he was somewhat of a town celebrity. If a town had a artist laureate, it would be him. He has some national acclaim too. I've always loved his work. but had never met him. Now I've played tag with him. God, I love this town.
I'm off now to take a really hot shower for my legs hurts so bad, I can't cross them of my own accord. But, if you ever get the chance to gather some friends and go play tag, I highly recommend it. Happy Birthday, Matt!

2 comments:

Jenthebest said...

Maybe playing tag and giggling is the best way to find your youth and maybe find that feeling you thought was gone forever...

bradi said...

AAHHH! Happy Birthday, Matt! That sounds like a very Matt way to spend a birthday. I miss that town and all its eccentric characters. It's kind of like Northern Exposure without the moose. Unless, is there a moose?